Monday, December 13, 2010

Solyent Green

“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
Theodore Roosevelt, Citizen in a Republic

I couldn't help but start this blog but with this blog.

Sometimes I believe that we become so overwhelmed by what we hear on the TV/Radio/Internet Blog sphere/print media that we start to feel why are even trying.

 Because we have to. The alternative is worse.

To give up and lay down and allow the powers to be to run over us is exactly what they want. Who are they?

I guess it is who ever you want to blame for the feeling of oppression. For me it is the nameless  Ultra-rich. Those who feel that they know what is best for me and I just need to accept. This I can not do. Someone once said that the best revenge is to live well and I believe that it up to you to  decide what is living well means.

For me it means not worrying about the what if's on  my health , food on the table, clothes on my back, and a roof over my head. Simple things it may be until it is thearthen then it becomes a major issue.

It is that way for many.

Right now folks are worrying about their job, mortgages, how they are going to put healthy food on the table on a beans and potatoes budget. How are they going to just get through the day.

This daily persistent and unrelenting concern becomes so overwhelming I believe we end up making mistakes. It makes us too cautious when we need to step up to the plate and swing for the fence. We may strike out but at least we tried.

Great things never happen or even the smallest things unless we are willing to take that chance. I believe President Obama has forgot that .That he has people whispering into his ear play it cautious, don't take chances. If it goes wrong you may loose the race in 2012.

Now you are thinking but we must have realistic expectations. You would be exactly right. why shouldn't you. You tell me that we must be willing to give up something for our security. I say security means nothing if you don't have your self-respect.

To me to not hold people accountable for what they do is to find our self in thar classic Sci-Fi movie "Soylent Green"  where we are eating ourselves.



It is time we stop consuming our self's. It is time we take back control of our lives.  Stand up for what you believe in. Take responsibility for what you do.

As i was finishing this article I found myself thinking about my Dad and his first heart attack.

He was laying semi-conscience in the Intensive Cardiac Care Unit. and he had been giving the doctors and nurses a difficult time .

It was about 2 in the morning and Dad had come too and I asked him to be patient with the staff that all they wanted was to help him. While it was the morphine talking he told me "I rather be shot for a wolf then die like a sheep."  Totally disapproved but I understood what he meant.

He might be in a hospital bed, semi-consciouses but as long as he could he was going to have a say over his life. That is all I am trying to say.
We, as a nation, may be on life support,  As a individual we may be gasping for air struggling to find a moment of respite. But Never give up. Live your life as a wolf for it is better than dying led blindly to the slaughter.

In the Shop

Well this week I need to spend some time in the shop at the wood lathe. One of my sons has ask me to turn some wine bottle stoppers to give to a few of the folks at work as Christmas presents. 

I think today I will glue up some turning blanks out of red oak and mesquite. Should make a interesting combo. I see about posting some photos when I get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment