Saturday, May 28, 2011

Keeping Things in Prespective

This past week has been a bumpy one with a lot of storms and a few F1 to F5 tornadoes. It has been a very weird weather month. But there is always a positive way of looking at things and that is we did get some much needed rain.

I just received a email from my granddaughter and God bless her she reminded me it is all how you look at it. I loved her email so much I just had to share it with you

Hey finally saw my e mails!Smile There was a little damage in Springtown but me and Adrian were at the hospital about to pickup Greg because he was sacred,but all of a sudden mom heard tornado sirens so we ran inside and a cop told us to get into the hospital rooms and be safe.Then we heard a nurse say code yellow take shelter! so me,Greg,Mom,Mady, Adrian,a lady with a baby,an old lady,and a teenager went into a very small bathroom.Then one of the nurses asked us if we wanted to go lower into the hospital and boy did Greg say yes!Nothing really happened to us, when we were driving home we saw Allsup’s the top of gas station was long gone!We were safe and so was our house!Smile
 
Desirae
 
FYI
Greg is her Mother's current husband and i a nice guy. Adrian is her bother a year younger,
 
There has been a lot of deaths associated with this year's crop of tornado's and no one who lives in this area not affected. My home town of Chickasha OK. was hit as well as Oklahoma City area where I have family living. It has always been that way and I suspect always will be.
 
 
Growing up I have been awaken in the middle of the night and rushed to the cellar. I have seen my share of tornadoes and take them all seriously.
 
Every year lives and livelihood have been wiped out in a blink of a eye by twister's. It is the price we pay to live on the plains. In a area referred to as "Tornado Alley". There are two advantages of living on the plains though that make the risk worth it for me.
 
One is that of being able to stand and turn 360 degrees and see the horizon and you swear you can see the curve of the earth. The second is since you can see so far most times you can see it coming.
 
When I was 7 years old just before I turned 8 in the spring my mother and I traveled by car form Ft Worth TX to Chickasha, OK.  while my Dad stayed home to work,  to check on Grandma. We had a flat and Mom had stopped at Ringold just south of the TX and Oklahoma border to get it fixed.
 
Mom was calling Dad and telling him about it and it being typical spring in Tornado Alley while Mom was using a phone booth to call from we watched a F1 tornado form and start coming our way. I still remember Mom telling Dad "There is  a small tornado coming at us I'm going to let you go and David and I are going to get in the ditch until it blows over., I will call when it is over" 
 
That is exactly what we did. No big deal just another day in Tornado Alley. I guess this attitude of acceptance is why I accept the storms as the cost of living in this area. It is what it is . Therefore I guess I should not be to surprised of my granddaughter attitude towards the storm.
 
It is about keeping things in perspective.
 
Reading and Movies
 
Yea!! I finally finished the 2nd in a series of 3 Steig Larrsons mystery "The Girl who Played With Fire". Like in the 1st of the series it started slow and finished with a bang. When I say slow I mean slow. Way too much dialog and setup for the last 100 of 570 pages. The bad thing is that now I have too wade through the last one "The girl who Kicked over a hornets nest" to see what happens next with the tow main characters.
 
 
Watched the Denzel Washington movie "Unstoppable" a great movie for anyone particularly a railroad fan like me. A 4 star out of 5.
 
Well enough for now.
 

1 comment:

  1. excellent stories on the tornado's and unstoppable was very good---although denzel picks good scripts i think to start with.
    take care in this weather dave
    warren

    ReplyDelete