Monday, July 11, 2011

The Marks of Life

Finally, let no-one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. (Galatians 6:17 NIVUK)

This was the verse that was used for the basis to our Sunday worship. Paul was taking the stance that those who questions his right to speak for Christ  has no right as he has been justified by the scars left from the life he has led for Christ.

This started me to think about the marks of life we all to some extent bear from the life we live. Does it justify our life. I like to think so.

I like to think that the marks I bear on my body and on my soul justify the respect that fellow co-workers have given me. That the marks I bear on my body and my soul justify the respect that I receive from my family and friends. For I also wish to be justified in my own home in my time. But I fear that I do not deserve it. This fear drives daily to be the best person I can be even so I know how weak I can be.

Joe McCrea in the classic 1962 western "Ride The High Country" told Randolph Scott when he was asked why didn't they take off with the gold after the mine owner had been killed they were protecting said "Because when it comes time I want to be justified in my own house".



In the end I think we all want to be found justified by the life we have lived. That we have been judged and not found wanting. Not, because we want the respect of certain people or of people in general but rather as we take that last breath and our life flash before our minds eye we know we have done our best.

Projects, Books, and Other

Projects

Just to hot to work in the shop with consistent above 100 degree days work have been put off until the temps abate int the 90 degrees in the shop. Right now the mornings have been in the lower 80's and the shop reflects this temp by mid day the temps are in the mid 90's and by afternoon in the upper 90's and that is with a fan.  I guess I am trying to justify my inactivity.

Books and reading

Started reading the Alan Furst book "Spies of the Balkans" and reading the essay and story collection of John Geirach "The Fools Paradise' (fishing and old age). Pretty good reading so far on both of them. 

Waiting in the wings are Simon Morden "Theories of Flight",  Nicholas Brisbanes "Every book it's Reader", and Douglas Preston's book "Impact".

Finished the first book in Simon Morden series "The Equation of Life". recommended by the blog "Tesla's Laptop" it proved to be as good as promised.

My Ipad 2

For my 62 birthday I received a 32 meg Ipad 2 with wifi and I have got to tell you it is fantastic. I have never been happier with this bit of technology. It filled the need I have been searching for in a portable computing device.

Does this mean I am getting rid of my 6 pound laptop? No. But now the laptop stays home and the Ipad goes everywhere with me.


That is all I have for now.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the Ipad---let us know how it works for you...
    warren

    ReplyDelete